Friday, February 22, 2013

8th Chapter Meeting, College West, 20 Feb 2013


Teo Cheng Chuan played the Sergeant-At-Arms role for the very first time. He led the ice-breaker session by self-introduction and how they spend their Chinese New Year holiday.

 
Club President Poh Lian delivered her opening address on the theme of the meeting:
----------------Opening Address Begin----------------
Uncertainty is the only certainty there is, and knowing how to live with insecurity is the only security
~ John Allen Paulos ~
·         Uncertainty & insecurity are not very comfortable words. They give me worries. I feel more at ease with certainty & security. I’m sure you do too.
·         So how do we live uncertainty & insecurity?
·         I recently come across some readings on “Fixed mindset vs Growth mindset” by Dr Carol Dweck. It provided me some mental anchor as I get tossed about in the sea of uncertainty & insecurity.
·         What’s “Fixed mindset vs Growth mindset”?
·         Fixed mindset people see their talents & abilities as fixed traits ie nothing can be done to change it. They become over-concerned with proving their talents & abilities, hiding deficiencies, and reacting defensively to mistakes or setbacks because deficiencies and mistakes imply a permanent lack of talent or ability. These people might actually miss opportunities to learn & grow if there’s a risk of showing weaknesses.
·         Growth mindset people believe that their talents & abilities can be developed through passion, education & persistence. For these people, it's not about looking smart or grooming their image. It's about a commitment to learning; it’s about taking informed risks & learning from the results; it’s about surrounding themselves with people who will challenge them to grow; it’s about looking frankly at their deficiencies and seeking to remedy them.
·         Let’s do a comparision of Fixed Mindset and Growth Mindset:
Fixed Mindset
Growth Mindset
Wants to prove intelligence or talent.
Wants to improve intelligence or talent.first time.
Avoids challenges for fear of failure.
Engages challenges to improve.
Gives up in the face of tough obstacles.
Persists in overcoming obstacles.
Avoids hard labor.
Sees labor as the path to success.
Treats criticism as an attack.
Treats criticism as an opportunity.
Feels threatened by others’ success.
Feels inspired by others’ success.
·         You like to have a growth mindset? Here’s what can you do to start with:
Don't Say
Do Say
I'm so stupid.
What am I missing?
I'm awesome at this.
I seem to be on the right track.
I just can’t do math.
I’m going to train my brain in math.
This is too hard.
This is going to take some time.
She’s so smart, she makes me sick.
I’m going to figure out how she’s doing it.
It’s fine the way it is, & yours isn’t any better.
That’s an interesting idea for improvement.
·         Yes, you can latch onto a growth mindset by being aware of the things you say to yourself.
·         For me, if I see everything I don’t know as an opportunity to grow my mind, than I don’t feel so small, stupid or fearful. Having a growth mindset helps me cope with uncertainty and reduces the insecurity in me.
·         Remind yourself to put on a growth mindset tonight for our toastmasters session, ok?
---------------Opening Address Ends----------------
Poh Lian is the table topics master. For tonight, the table topics are words from the theme, and besides the chosen topic, each speaker has to relate this topic with the earlier topic chosen by the earlier speaker.


Our first time guest, Sim Boon Heng attempting table topics.

Eng Kai & Lye Sum delivered their advanced speech projects.

Siew Choo taking the role of Ah Counter the first time.

Cheng Chuan performing the role of SAA first time. 
 Presenting token of appreciation to Taufiq, project evaluator for Lye Sum.
Presenting token of appreciation to Zi Quan, General evaluator for the first time.
Presenting token of appreciation to Boon Heng, first time guest.


Token of appreciation for Visiting Toastmaster, Benny Kee

Best table topics speaker Ong Lye Sum


No comments: